Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Results are in!

My doctor finally called me with my lab results.
 Twice.

Let me just say, first, that I was ecstatic to finally hear back from them. I ended up calling them yesterday because I hadn't heard anything. I was told it was on the doctor's desk for review, but my results had come back from the lab. Whoo hoo! Fast forward three hours later: the nurse called me and told me that my results were in (already know that), and that everything came back 'fine' and that it wasn't going to affect my treatment plan at all. Really?? That was kind of surprising, so I asked her about taking my Provera (since I hadn't started it that month since I wasn't really told to take it or stop it) and my Clomid and when they wanted me to start that. She didn't have that answer, but she told me she would leave a note for my doctor and call me back. No big deal.

I was still surprised by the results.
 Something wasn't right...

I pretty much knew what was going to happen before it happened. ESP! Ha! Just kidding, but no. When the nurse called back she told me that the doctor wanted me to go ahead and take the Provera for ten days and then if I started my cycle to call them on day one, and if not to call them also. Okay, no problem. THEN came the real results. "I was looking over your blood work and your cholesterol is a little elevated. We like it to be under 200 and yours is 229, but he talked to you about diet and exercise right?" Yes. Yes he did. "Okay, great. Your thyroid was also a little off. We typically need that to be at 2.5 and yours was 3.5, so we're going to go ahead and put you on a medication for your thyroid." Okay, can you call that in? "Yes, I'll go ahead and do that right now for you. He also wants you to recheck your thyroid, just at your earliest convenience, and another one of your hormone levels. So I'll fax over a lab order for you as well." Are these fasting labs? "The thyroid is not, but since we are testing one of your hormone levels that IS fasting." Okay, so fast.
 

More blood work?
 Well that sucks.


I wasn't too shocked when she called back and dumped all of that on me. I kind of expected for my levels to be off, so when at first she said it all came back fine I was kind of thrown for a loop. If everything were "fine" I wouldn't need help conceiving would I? My husband's results from his semen analysis came back PERFECT. Lucky. The nurse then asked me if we were wanting to do timed intercourse or IUI (intrauterine insemination) since his levels and counts are so great. I told her we were still discussing it. Which we are, but now that we know he's fine I'm leaning more toward the timed intercourse for the first round. One because it's free, and two because that sounds more fun to me. The thought of a catheter being inserted into my uterus and then floating the sperm through that to my eggs scares me. There's a higher chance of pregnancy with IUI, but I'm thinking the first time we can do it the old fashioned way and see what happens. I mean, ya never know, right?

The nurse also confirmed my blood type for me; AB negative. Just like I have always known it to be, but now I can say that with 100% assurance that I'm RIGHT about it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment