Thursday, May 17, 2012

Egg Donation?

I've been reading a lot lately.

I plan on becoming as knowledgeable as possible about the procedures I may have to go through. One of these procedures is egg donation. And this is probably a last resort type of procedure, but I am quite intrigued by the idea of it. My husband and I would, for all intents and purposes, flip through a binder full of anonymous women willing to donate one of their eggs to our cause. It breaks my heart into thousands of happy pieces knowing that there are women out there unselfish enough to donate their eggs to infertile couples.

Reading up on this further,

Once we would choose a donor, they would contact her and then set up an appointment for egg retrieval. I would then go through my own type of preparation with birth control for 14-28 days followed by a series of injections of medications like Lupron, Estradiol, and Progesterone ranging from twice weekly to twice daily all the way up until egg retrieval. Upon the day of the retrieval they would let us know how many eggs were retrieved from the donor and then my husband would provide a semen sample for fertilization. The average success rate of fertilization is 70% with this method. 70% is more than I could ask for. Fertilized embryos are transferred on the fifth day after egg retrieval. They would transfer two embryos and the remaining embryos would be crypreserved. I would take a pregnancy test ten days later to confirm or deny pregnancy. If I were to test positively they would monitor me for the first twelve weeks before transferring my care to my OBGYN. If I test negatively I would have a follow up appointment in two weeks.

You would think I would be scared of this...

Most people I talk to can't believe I would even consider this. My thinking was that my child would probably stand a better chance without my genetics anyway, and the baby would still be my husband's so why not? There are SO many options out there and this is just one of them that could be an option for us. I feel like I'm one step closer to my dream with every piece of information I absorb. I just tell myself "one day at a time" and we'll get there.

We will be parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment