Saturday, March 23, 2013

Saturday Morning Work Blues.

First thing on the agenda for this morning.

My grandmother isn't doing to well these days. She was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) about six months ago. The problems started before that, but the official diagnosis came later. She has just been downhill ever since. She has lost the ability to speak, walk, and feed herself. She needs help using the restroom and getting in and out of bed. She has trouble swallowing. I can tell you right now, we never think about the muscle that helps us swallow until we can't use it any longer. My grandma chokes on water. And she uses an oxygen tank to help her breathe. Most (if not all) ALS patients die in their sleep from a collapsed diaphragm (the muscle that helps us breathe). They basically suffocate to death. And there is no cure for this disease. It is horrible. Seeing her diminish like she is puts a huge hole in my heart. My last living grandparent is dying and there's nothing I can do or anyone else can do about it.

Sorry for the depression.
 
On another note, I despise waking up early on Saturdays.

I like to stay in bed until at LEAST 10:00am. At LEAST. But, alas... today I had to wake up at 7:00am to get ready to go to work. I normally don't work on Saturdays, but my coworker took the weekend off to go to some kind of convention so I volunteered for the overtime. Hey, I could use to overtime!

I am somewhat glad I woke up at 7:00am.

Especially since my stomach decided to expel all of it's acid in a timely manner. Let me tell you, for those of you that have not had the luxury of throwing up stomach acid (aka "bile"), it is HORRIBLE! So, so, SO much worse than just "regular" vomiting. I attribute it to the fact that I got out of bed too fast and had nothing in my belly. Obviously. Bah... what a lovely thing to read in the morning. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment